The Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is an academic competition that assists current graduate students with fostering effective presentation and communication skills. Participants have just three minutes to explain the breadth and significance of their research project to a non-specialist audience.
The competition was developed by the University of Queensland in 2008, and is now held at many countries around the world. Every year heats are held across campus beginning in February, with winners moving on to the UBC-wide semi-Finals and finals in March.
UBC’s winner will be invited to participate in the western Canadian regional final from which 3 presenters move on to the Canadian nationals. They will also participate in the virtual Universitas 21 (U21) 3MT® international competition held each October
Cash prizes will be awarded to the winners of the 3MT in the form of prepaid VISA cards
$250 – 1st Place
$150 – 2nd Place
$50 – People’s Choice Award
How To Register
When you register for Research Day & Industry Night, simply select “3MT Participant” under Participation Catagory and you will be entered. *Note that the 3MT Competition is limited to UBC engineering graduate students.
Deadline to register for the 3MT heat is February 26th at 11:59pm
Winners of the CHBE 3MT Heat will advance to the UBC Semi-Finals (March 13th) and UBC Finals (March 15th). The finalist will have the opportunity to represent UBC at the Western Regional 3MT competition.
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted (no slide transitions, animations or ‘movement’ of any description)
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted
- No additional props (e.g. laser pointers, costumes, laboratory equipment or musical instruments) are permitted
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum. Judges are recommended to deduct marks from presentations that exceed 3 minutes.
- Presentations are to be spoken words (e.g. no poems, raps or songs)
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when the presenter starts their presentation through movement or speech
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
3MT Workshop: Strategies for Presenting your Research in 3 Minutes (via Webinar)
Date: Feb 7, 2019 | 2:00 – 3:30 PM
Event details: grad.ubc.ca/about-us/events/17228-strategies-presenting-your-research-3-minutes-webinar
For information on how to prepare, rules, and guidleines visit UBC 3MT Home Page
Watch the last years’ finalists 3MT presentations.